Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Awesomesauce Words Continued!


In case you're wondering, Erin and Cassie... Let's just say I'm praying for them a lot. I ask that you keep them in your prayers too. 

This post has nothing to do with that. Originally, I had written a different post, but it (and the rewrite and the rewrite for the rewrite) came off horribly, so for now, you're going to have to enjoy some words stuffed with awesomesauce (I feel like that should be a recipe). Bon appetite!

“One superlatively important effect of wide reading is the enlargement of vocabulary which always accompanies it. The average student is gravely impeded by the narrow range of words from which he must choose, and he soon discovers that in long compositions he cannot avoid monotony. In reading, the novice should note the varied mode of expression practiced by good authors, and should keep in his mind for future use the many appropriate synonymes he encounters. Never should an unfamiliar word be passed over without elucidation; for with a little conscientious research we may each day add to our conquests in the realm of philology, and become more and more ready for graceful independent expression.

"But in enlarging the vocabulary, we must beware lest we misuse our new possessions. We must remember that there are fine distinctions betwixt apparently similar words, and that language must ever be selected with intelligent care. As the learned Dr. Blair points out in his Lectures, ‘Hardly in any language are there two words that convey precisely the same idea; a person thoroughly conversant in the propriety of language will always be able to observe something that distinguishes them,’” H.P. Lovecraft, known for writing “weird horror,” said.

I like vocabulary. A lot. Because of this, I’m continuing the Awesomesauce Words series that I started a while ago.

One must be drenched in words, literally soaked in them, to have the right ones form themselves into the proper pattern at the right moment. –Hart Crane




Obviously Disney’s Pinocchio.
Straight from the movie. :)

Mendacious-adjective-telling lies especially habitually; dishonest; lying; untruthful

Turpitude-noun-shameful wickedness; vile, shameful, or base character; a depraved act

In addition, moral turpitude is a legal concept that refers to conduct that is considered contrary to community standards of justice, honesty or good morals.


I walked up to my teacher and said, “The fire department had to come to our house last night. Everything was really frantic. Nothing burned down, but I wasn’t able to complete my homework.”
She stared at me for a minute. Since I knew she was trying to read my face, I kept it as emotionless as humanly possible. Another minute passed as she stared. I was sure I had her fooled now. I smiled, and in that smile she must have seen just a bit of turpitude, for she said, “Bria! Stop your mendacious behavior or else I will whip you with my displeasure!”


Ha. I like this story because this is what my english teacher really would say. Don’t worry, she wouldn’t literally whip me, but she would literally quote every piece of literature to her advantage. The whipping phrase comes from Ralph Waldo Emerson’s “Self-Reliance.” The full quote says, “For nonconformity the world whips you with its displeasure.”

What other literary quotes would you use to discipline me? How would you all use these words? (PLEASE use turpitude. I love how it sounds so much, but I have (thankfully) had very little opportunity to use it. Original ways to use it (so I can use it more!!)  would be GREATLY appreciated!)

No comments:

Post a Comment