Saturday, August 18, 2012

Awesomesauce Words


One must be drenched in words, literally soaked in them, to have the right ones form themselves into the proper pattern at the right moment. –Hart Crane
           
            Because of this and my love and fascination of words (especially dictionary.com’s word of the day), I have decided to start what I call Awesomesauce Words. Basically, I find some words that I particularly love and tell you all about them. Yeah! I will also include how I used the word this week. I would love it if you also wrote (or said) something and posted that here. Using new words helps in learning and remembering new words. This may seem very schoolish, but I find that it helps me bunches. Without further ado, here are some awesomesauce words:

Besot-verb-to infatuate, obsess; to intoxicate or stupefy with drink; to make stupid or foolish, as in a mind besotted with fear and superstition; plagued

His tales introduced fear into my mind. I ran home that night, running down the middle of the street, keeping far away from the dark spaces between the trees. The fears besot me; they followed me home. Once home, I curled up into a tight ball. All of my covers rumpled around me and I hoped any haunts would mistake me as just another messy cover on my messy bed.  

http://www.webweaver.nu/clipart
Pyknic-adjective-having a stocky physique with a rounded body and head, thickset trunk, and a tendency to be fat (from going on too many picnics. Haha)
Santa Claus reportedly has the pyknic body type.
If you want more information on this body type, I found this site helpful.

Obtuse- adjective-not quick or alert in perception, feeling, or intellect; blunt in form

The pyknic man took up the whole rest of the bench. An elderly lady and her granddaughter sat on the left and this obtuse man sat in the empty spot that I had so clearly marked as mine, you know, by calling shotgun in my head. The nerve of some people! I stand now behind the man. My arms are crossed and one of my feet tap tap taps an angry beat. I am sure a look of frustration is present on my face. I stare into the back of his head. What is he thinking? Can he feel me staring at him? Surely he can feel me staring at him. He’s doing this on purpose now. He knows he took my seat and he knows I am angry about it. He is doing this now to spite me. Does he also know my plan for retaliation, do you think? Hehe, we shall see, I suppose.

Now, how would you use these words?


No comments:

Post a Comment